Friday, November 11, 2011

Life in St. Kitts

It's amazing how powerful the internet is. We had a bunch of connection troubles earlier this week. Power outages and service disruptions. It's nice to have it back. I spend a lot of time on the internet down here.

Other than reading journals to stay current and periodicals to stay informed I spend a lot of time testing new technologies, software, and services. I have a few entries I want to write as reviews.

Life on the island has been a big adjustment. The culture here is shocking at first. No one is in any hurry to get anything done. I think the government here is still cutting its teeth and learning how to function as an independent nation. Without the British rule, and also British tax revenue (I assume), the government is taxing its citizens to an excruciating level. A lot of the people in charge can't see the long range implications of decisions.

The most apparent example of this lack of forethought came with the country's investment in electric infrastructure. Instead of investing in renewable energy that could provide abundant electricity in the long run after the initial capital investment is earned back, the government decided to use the money to keep the current electrical system running. Power on this island is generated entirely through diesel generators. These generators frequently have problems.

The island has a long way to go before it figures out where it fits in the world. Until then I'm still counting the days until I'm home.

No comments: