Friday, November 11, 2011

Writing Therapy

I started this post a long time ago (4.12.11 to be exact).  I never finished it but I wanted to add content anyway.  More posts to come soon hopefully.

I received my Masters degree in the mail today.  That recycled cardboard tube and its contents represent two years of work and countless tuition dollars.  I guess there’s no avoiding the hunt for employment anymore.  I had an amazing vacation right after exams and much needed time with the woman I love but reality (and bills) can’t be ignored.  Time is an interesting component of our relationship since the distance makes time together even more precious.

I had a feeling when I started the blog again that the first entry would sit for an extended period before it moved further down the page.  Turns out I was right.  For some reason though, the desire to write hit me.  Trying to express myself through the written word is something I’ve always wanted to be able to do better.  I can never seem to write the way I think.  My mind puts such emotion behind the words as I think about them but when they actually hit the page, gravity and depth are lost.  No amount of editing allows me to put that emphasis back into the words.  I suppose my inability to do that is what makes me an engineer.  There is very little subtlety and differences in meaning in engineering, the balances must close, there is no way around it.

Even as I begin to look for jobs suitable for a young chemical engineer I’m still completely engrossed in the world of technology.  The sheer amount of electromagnetic radiation that permeates this house surprises me sometimes.  If I lost power I can’t even imagine how disconnected I would feel.  I do allow myself some of these feelings because the only way I can communicate with the love of my life depends on countless fiber, copper, and wireless networks. (The networks in my house being merely the first step.  Yes I said networks, I’m one of the few individuals that maintain multiple wireless networks in my house.)

No comments: